Getting a Development Permit

Information on Land Use Planning -(Development Permits, Sub-divisions, Rezoning)


In accordance with section 3.4 of the Rural Municipality of North Shore 2021-02 Land Use Bylaw, a person is required to obtain a development permit prior to:

  • changing the use of a lot, building or structure;
  • commencing a development;
  • constructing, placing, moving or demolishing a building or structure;
  • making structural alterations to a building;
  • making a connection to a central water supply or sewerage disposal system;
  • installing underground a septic tank, a fuel tank, a foundation wall or the like;
  • creating or constructing an entranceway or driveway, or laying paving material for a driveway or parking lot;
  • starting a home occupation;
  • digging an excavation pit;
  • placing of dump fill or other material over 10 m3 (354 ft3); or
  • Installing a ground-mounted solar panel(s) system

Submit an application form for a development permit with payment to be reviewed to the Municipal Office at the North Shore Community Centre, 2120 Covehead Road. Please review the documents below to ensure you have everything ready to submit.

Select the appropriate form to complete:

How much will it cost?

Payments can be made by one of the following methods:



  1. Complete the development permit application form and submit with payment based on the fee schedule.
  2. Submit copies of all required documents: approved on-site sewage disposal system registration, entranceway permit (if required), culvert permit (if required), site plan, storm water management plan, and house floor plans. 
    • Septic System If the structure you are erecting requires a new or expanded septic system, you will require an Sewage Disposal System Registration Form completed by a licensed septic contractor and registered with the PEI Planning Lands Division. Small lots require a septic system approved by a licensed engineer.
      ** Note: a development permit will not be issued until an on-site sewage disposal system form has been registered with the Province.
    • Site Plan and Storm Water Management Plan, Section 3.5 (4) of the 2021-02 Land Use Bylaw requires a storm water management plan completed by a licensed engineer or landscape architect. A site plan is also required for your development. These two items may be combined into one document.
    • Driveway Access If you require a new culvert to your property or if your property fronts on a seasonal road, you will require an Entranceway Permit. These are available from the provincial government HERE.
    • 911 Signage If your new structure requires a civic address, fill out the online Civic Address form:
      ​All properties that fall within provincial civic addressing (most rural areas) are required by law under the Emergency 911 Act to display the number using a standardized blue reflective civic number sign. This means that every building in the Municipality of North Shore that has been assigned a civic number should be displaying this type of civic number sign. Some properties under provincial civic addressing may also be displaying additional signs, such as the numbers that are included in rural mail box kits, hardware store numbering kits, etc., however, the legislation mandates that they must also have the standardized blue reflective sign clearly posted.
  3. Submit complete application package by one of these methods.
    1.  email to
    2. delivery to North Shore Municipal Office, 2120 Covehead Road 8:30 am – 4:00pm Monday to Thursday.
    3. or mail the documents to:
      Development Officer, Rural Municipality of North Shore
      2120 Rte 25
      West Covehead, PE C0A 1P0

*Note: Failure to complete any of the above-noted forms (as required), could result in a delay in the issuance of your development permit. Please make sure that you, or your building contractor on your behalf, have provided all relevant information requested on the forms, paid all required fees and received all required permits.

**Note: Please be advised that there may be existing restrictive covenants in place within subdivisions. For information on any covenants that may apply please contact the respective Homeowners Association. The Official Plan does not enforce covenants. You also need to be aware that some roads in the municipality are “private roads”. As per section 4.1(4)e of the Land Use Bylaw, if you are developing on a private road you will be required to sign a development agreement that will be registered with the province. The fee for this service is outlined in the Schedule C: Schedule of Fees.

Please allow sufficient time for processing of applications after submission of the completed permit application package. Timelines will depend on the complexity of the project and staff availability. Do NOT expect to receive a permit on the same day as the application was submitted.

After a permit is issued…

  • An approved development permit is valid for up to 12 months from the date of approval. If work has not commenced within that period, the development permit shall be considered null and void.
  • The applicant shall post the approved permit on the lot subject to the development in a manner that is visible to the public.
  • Council may grant an extension on an approved development permit for up to six (6) months from the date of expiry, if the applicant requests the extension prior to the date of expiry. After such time, an application for a new development permit must be submitted.
  • Council may revoke a development permit where information provided on the application is found to be inaccurate.


In addition to being issued a Development Permit by the Rural Municipality of North Shore, you are required to apply for the Provincial Building Permit before embarking on any development, except for items that are specifically exempted from the building regulations and Codes.

For information on Building Codes Regulations, visit

For the Provincial Building Permit application and submission process, please contact the Land Division, Department of Agriculture and Land at or 902-368-5590.


1. Complete a subdivision permit application and return by email to

2. Applications are available at the Municipal Office or on this page.

3. Pay the appropriate sub-division application fee. Subdivisions will require a preliminary and final approval. See the appropriate section in the 2021-02 Landuse Bylaw.

Procedure for Rezonings

This is a complex process. Detailed instructions coming soon…


Procedure for Watercourse Alteration Permits

Residents are advised that the Province requires permits for any alterations affecting watercourses, wetlands, buffer zones or shorelines. Examples of activities requiring permits include but are not limited to bridge or culvert construction/maintenance, temporary watercourse crossings, pond maintenance, water withdrawal, shoreline erosion control, dredging, tree cutting or landscaping in a Buffer Zone, operate heavy equipment or a motor vehicle in buffer, stairs to shores, etc., etc.

Application instructions and forms are available from the province. For convenience the link is provided HERE.

Still have questions?

If you have questions regarding the permit application process, please contact our Development team by email at

Alternatively, you can call (902) 672-2600 for simple development-related questions or to set up an appointment for a consultation. Our Development Officer is in the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. We reserve the right to enforce time limits on the duration of consultation appointments.

The role of our Development Officer is to determine if a project meets the municipal bylaws. For advice on how to create a plan, especially for complex projects, applicants should consider hiring someone with experience in the type of project being proposed, or a professional planner. Link to planners on PEI is HERE.