Submit a development permit with payment to be reviewed to the Municipal Office at the North Shore Community Centre, 2120 Covehead Road. Please review the documents below to ensure you have everything ready to submit.


In accordance with section 3.4 of the Rural Municipality of North Shore 2021-02 Land Use Bylaw, a person is required to obtain a development permit prior to:

  • changing the use of a lot, building or structure;
  • commencing a development;
  • constructing, placing, moving or demolishing a building or structure;
  • making structural alterations to a building;
  • making a connection to a central water supply or sewerage disposal system;
  • installing underground a septic tank, a fuel tank, a foundation wall or the like;
  • creating or constructing an entranceway or driveway, or laying paving material for a driveway or parking lot;
  • starting a home occupation;
  • digging an excavation pit;
  • placing of dump fill or other material over 10 m3(353.9 ft3); or
  • Installing a ground-mounted solar panel(s) system

An approved development permit is valid for up to 12 months from the date of approval and if work has not commenced within that period, the development permit shall be considered null and void.

The applicant shall post the approved permit on the lot subject to the development in a manner that is visible to the public.

Council may grant an extension on an approved development permit for up to six (6) months from the date of expiry, if the applicant requests the extension prior to the date of expiry. After such time, an application for a new development permit must be submitted.

Council may revoke a development permit where information provided on the application is found to be inaccurate.


  1. Complete the development permit application form and submit with payment based on the fee schedule cash, cheque (made out to the Rural Municipality of North Shore) or e-transfer is accepted.
  2. Septic System If the structure you are erecting requires a new or expanded septic system, you will require an Sewage Disposal System Registration Form completed by a licensed septic contractor and registered with the PEI Planning Lands Division at 31 Gordon Drive, Charlottetown. For lots under the Provincial minimum of 0.574 acres, the septic system must be approved by a licensed engineer.
    ** Note: a development permit will not be issued until an on-site sewage disposal system form has been registered with the Province.
  3. Site Plan and Storm Water Management Plan, Section 3.5 (4) of the 2021-02 Land Use Bylaw requires a storm water management plan completed by a licensed engineer or landscape architect. A site Plan is also required for your development and may be combined on the Storm water Management Plan.
  4. Driveway Access If you require a new culvert to your property or if your property fronts on a seasonal road, you will require an Entranceway Permit. Have your building contractor go to either:
    1. the PEI Transportation & Public Works, 3rd floor Jones Bldg, 11 Kent St., Charlottetown, or
    2. the Government Garage (corner of Park St. And Riverside Drive, Charlottetown), to complete the required form and to pay the required fee.
  5. 911 Signage If your new structure requires a civic address, fill out the online Civic Address form:
    ​All properties that fall within provincial civic addressing (most rural areas) are required by law under the Emergency 911 Act to display the number using a standardized blue reflective civic number sign. This means that every building in the Municipality of North Shore that has been assigned a civic number should be displaying this type of civic number sign. Some properties under provincial civic addressing may also be displaying additional signs, such as the numbers that are included in rural mail box kits, hardware store numbering kits, etc., however, the legislation mandates that they must also have the standardized blue reflective sign clearly posted.
  6. Attach a copy of the approved on-site sewage disposal system registration, entranceway permit (if required), culvert permit (if required), site plan, storm water management plan and house floor plans to the completed development permit application form. 
  7. Submit complete application package by one of these methods.
    1.  email to
    2. delivery to North Shore Municipal Office, 2120 Covehead Road 8:30 am – 4:00pm Monday to Thursday.
    3. or mail the documents to:
          Development Officer, Rural Municipality of North Shore
          2120 Rte 25
          West Covehead, PE C0A 1P0

*Note: Failure to complete any of the above-noted forms (as required), could result in a delay in the issuance of your development permit. Please make sure that you, or your building contractor on your behalf, have provided all relevant information requested on the forms, paid all required fees and received all required permits.

**Note: Please be advised that there may be existing restrictive covenants in place within subdivisions. For information on any covenants that may apply please contact the respective Homeowners Association. The Official Plan does not enforce covenants. You also need to be aware that most of the roads in the municipality are “private roads”. If developing on a private road you will be required to sign a development agreement that will be registered with the province, a fee of $100.00, as per section 4.1(4)e

Please allow at least 4 weeks for processing of applications after submission of the completed permit application package. Permits may be issued sooner.


In addition to being issued a Development Permit by the Rural Municipality of North Shore, you are required to apply for the Provincial Building Permit before embarking on any development, except for developments described below that are exempted from the building regulations and Codes;

  1. sewage, water, electrical, telephone, rail or similar systems located above, below or on an area of land which has been dedicated or deeded for public use;
  2. public utility towers and poles, television and radio or other communication aerials and towers, except for loads resulting from those located on or attached to buildings;
  3. flood control, dams for public water supply, hydroelectric dams and their related structures, not including buildings;
  4. mechanical or other equipment and appliances not specifically regulated by the codes;
  5. above-ground or below-ground bulk storage tanks not regulated under Part 6 of the Building Code or the National Farm Building Code of Canada, 1995, issued by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes, National Research Council of Canada;
  6. a building that is within the scope of the National Farm Building Code of Canada, 1995, issued by the Canadian Commission on Building and Fire Codes, National Research Council of Canada;
  7. free-standing signs;
  8. fences;
  9. retaining walls or exterior steps not attached to, and forming part of a building’s construction;
  10. in respect of a building within the scope of Division B of Part 9 of the Building Code, interior and exterior non-structural material alterations and material repairs such as
    1. removing and replacing roofing with similar materials,
    2. removing and replacing cladding with similar materials,
    3. replacement or repair of drywall or other interior finish,
    4. installation of additional insulation or replacement of insulation,
    5. replacement of a furnace or boiler,
    6. installation or replacement of an air-conditioning unit or heat pump,
    7. replacement of windows or doors, where there is no change in location or size of the window or door and the structural support for the opening is not affected,
    8. installation or replacement of cabinets, shelving, millwork or flooring, and
    9. waterproofing or damp-proofing of foundation walls or repair or replacement of foundation drainage;
    10. a single-storey exterior wooden deck for residential use that is less than 600 millimetres above ground level and less than 55 square metres in area and does not support a roof;
  11. a building used for a resource use as that term is defined in the Subdivision and Development Regulations (EC693/00) made under the Planning Act R.S.P.E.I. 1988, Cap. P-8, where the occupant load is expected to be not more than one person for each 40 square metres of floor area during normal use; (l) an accessory building not greater than 20 square meters in area;
  12. an accessory building not greater than 20 square meters in area;
  13. a single-storey exterior wooden deck for residential use that is less than 600 millimetres above ground level and less than 55 square metres in area and does not support a roof;
  14. a tent with a floor or ground area of less than 223 square metres that is erected for a temporary purpose;
  15. in respect of a building within the scope of Division B of Part 3 of the Building Code, interior and exterior non-structural material repairs or maintenance with a monetary value of $10,000 or less. (EC177/20)

For information on Building Codes Regulations, visit

For the Provincial Building Permit application and submission process, please contact the Land Division, Department of Agriculture and Land;

Tel: 902-368-5590


1. Complete a subdivision permit application and return to:
   a) the Municipal Office in the North Shore Community Centre 8
:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday to Thursday.

   b) by emailing 

2. Applications are available at the Municipal Office or on this page.

3. Pay the appropriate sub-division application fee. Subdivisions will require a preliminary and final approval. See the appropriate section in the 2021-02 Landuse Bylaw. 

Procedure for Watercourse Alteration Permits

Residents are advised that the Province requires permits for any alterations affecting watercourses, wetlands, buffer zones or shorelines along the bays. Types of activities requiring permits include but are not limited to:

  • Bridge Construction/Maintenance . Wharf/Breakwater . Water Withdrawal
  • Culvert Installation/Maintenance . Construct a Slipway . Impoundment Maintenance
  • Wetland Alteration . Shoreline Erosion Control . Construct a By-Pass Pond
  • Stream Enhancement . Dredging
  • Construct/Maintain Sediment Trap . Temporary Watercourse Crossing
  • Tree Cutting/Landscaping in a Buffer Zone . Operate Heavy Equipment or a Motor Vehicle
  • Other –e.g. stairs to shores

Application instructions and forms are available online HERE or by searching

Still have questions?

If you have questions regarding the permit application process, please contact our Development team including Mirko Terrazas, Development Officer, by email at

Alternatively, you can call (902) 672-2600 for general development related questions or to set up an appointment for a consultation. Our Development Officer is in the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.